Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a weight-loss surgery that involves removing a large portion of the stomach to create a smaller, tube-like stomach.
This procedure helps limit the amount of food you can eat, leading to weight loss. However, the success of this surgery depends on maintaining a healthy lifestyle after the surgery.
Many people wonder if it is possible to regain weight after gastric sleeve surgery.
In this article, we will explore the factors that can lead to weight regain after gastric sleeve surgery and how to prevent it.
Table of Contents
Factors That Can Affect Weight Regain After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
While gastric sleeve surgery can provide long-term weight loss, weight regain can occur if certain factors are not addressed. Some of the factors that can affect your weight regain include:
- Eating habits and portion control: After gastric sleeve surgery, it is important to maintain healthy eating habits and portion control. Overeating or consuming high-calorie foods can lead to weight gain.
- Physical activity levels: Regular physical activity is essential for maintaining weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery. If physical activity levels decrease, you might experience weight regain.
- Psychological factors: Psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, and depression can lead to overeating and weight gain.
- Medical conditions: Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes can make it difficult to lose weight and can lead to weight regain.
Importance Of Follow-Up Care After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Regular follow-up care after gastric sleeve Turkey is essential for maintaining weight loss and preventing weight regain. This care may include regular check-ups with healthcare providers, nutritional counseling and guidance, and psychological support and therapy.
Your healthcare provider may also recommend additional medications or supplements to support weight loss.
Tips For Maintaining Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Here are some tips for maintaining weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery:
- Making healthy food choices: Eating a healthy diet rich in lean protein, vegetables, and fruits can help you lose weight after gastric sleeve surgery.
- Incorporating physical activity into a daily routine: Regular physical activity is essential for weight loss. You can incorporate physical activity into your daily routine by taking walks, joining a gym, or participating in fitness classes.
- Seeking help for emotional and psychological issues: If you are struggling with emotional or psychological issues such as stress, anxiety, or depression, seeking help from a mental health professional can help maintain weight loss.
- Addressing medical conditions: If you have a medical condition affecting your weight loss, working with your healthcare provider to manage the condition can help you maintain weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery.
How Many Years Does A Gastric Sleeve Last?
According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2018, patients who underwent gastric sleeve surgery experienced an average weight loss of approximately 60% of their excess body weight one year after surgery.
At five years post-surgery, patients maintained an average weight loss of 57% of their excess body weight. Another study published in Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases in 2017 showed that patients who underwent gastric sleeve surgery maintained an average weight loss of 56.7% of their excess body weight ten years after surgery.
In conclusion, weight regain is possible after gastric sleeve surgery. However, by addressing the factors that can lead to weight regain and following the tips for maintaining weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery, you can prevent weight regain and sustain long-term weight loss.
It is important to work closely with your healthcare provider to develop a plan for maintaining weight loss and addressing any issues that may arise. With proper care and lifestyle changes, gastric sleeve surgery Turkey can provide long-term weight loss and improved health.